Tuesday, November 13, 2001

Luke 14:31-33

"Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?
Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple."
Luke 14:31-33


This is interesting.  At first I think I was a little confused at what the king story had to do with forsaking all that you have, but I think it is about enduring to the end. :)  Enduring isn't about suffering, it is just about following through.  When you commit to something, you have to plan for the future, and ensure that commitment will remain in force long-term.  The king in this story had to sit down and decide whether he could win the war.... had to plan out his strategy.  We have to do that too, whenever we commit to something.  Wishy-washy commitments that we are only certain of for a day aren't going to take us far... in life, or in eternity.  Today, God might ask us only to forsake one sin, or to walk one step along the path.  And that is good, so that we don't get overwhelmed or tackle more than we can handle in a day... but if we commit to God, then we have to know and plan for the day when we will forsake every sin, and walk the final step of the path.  We have to have a plan for the future, or we will never get there.  Yesterday a friend of mine called me and in the course of our conversation she asked me what my long-term plan was after I move to Colorado.  I was surprised by the question, and realized that I didn't really have any long-term plans beyond going there and trying to find a job. :)  So, I am going to repent and try to figure out what to do with my life, and I invite you to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews