Saturday, April 7, 2001

3 Nephi 24:5

"And I will come near to you to judgement; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger, and fear not me, saith the Lord of Hosts."
3 Nephi 24:5


Interesting stuff.  I picked it because I was fascinated with the turning aside the stranger part, but it gets more and more interesting as I look at it.  I mean, first off, why sorcerers?  I haven't noticed a sorcerer problem around here... or even on the news lately... but in thinking about it, that Harry Potter guy *is* pretty evil... heh heh... just joking.  In sincerity, it seems to me that the problem with sorcerers is that they are looking to some power other than God.  As do I, too often.  I would love it if someone would come by and grant me three wishes, or tell me the future.  But when we start looking to other sources for these answers, then we are probably starting down a path that is going to lead to a not-so-optimistic future anyway.  yikes. :)  So, then... those that oppress the hireling in his wages. :)  Dang.  Seems to me that there is a lot of that going on.  Our society definitely oppresses the widow and the fatherless.  Turning aside the stranger... that is interesting.  How about illegal immigrants?  How about anyone on the side of the road, asking for money?  How about hiring your friends instead of the stranger at the job interview? :)  How about anyone who is outside your comfort zone?  Someone who dresses a little bit differently, or who has a habit you don't like, or who uses language that you don't approve of?  How about people who aren't in the church and don't want to be?  How about skin color, or income level, or outward appearance?  Do we turn people away without trying to understand or love them?  I know that I do, way way too often.  Today, look around you and see who you are turning away.  Let's attempt to follow Christ's example and love people for who they are inside, and not judge people based on outward appearance. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews