Friday, January 19, 2001

Doctrine and Covenants 29:34-35

"Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal; neither any man, not the children of men; neither Adam, your father, whom I created.
Behold, I gave unto him that he should be an agent unto himself; and I gave unto him commandment, but no temporal commandment gave I unto him, for my commandments are spiritual; they are not natural not temporal, neither carnal nor sensual."
Doctrine and Covenants 29:34-35


I think this is interesting.  I don' t know that I really understand it completely... for instance, tithing.  That seems pretty temporal to me... but perhaps it is symbolic of our dedication to the Lord, always... I don't know.  It is very cool though to think that everything is spiritual in nature... all the commandments are teaching us things that are for our good eternally, not just here on this earth.  SO, we're here in this school temporarily (and temporally), but learning the eternal lessons that we will need as we enter into "real" life. :)  I think it is amazingly cool that God, as the perfect parent, never loses his cool and snaps out anything that is just a temporary command... that he always has our eternal interests at heart, and loves us despite the scary things that we do here on earth sometimes.  He can see the whole picture, and when we are tempted to give up any part of eternity for something temporal... he is always there, reminding us.  Everything that he does is designed to help us to focus on learning those eternal lessons in our current forgetful and temporal state.  What an amazing teacher, parent, and friend He is to us.  No matter how frustrated I get with my limited perspective, with my inability to learn my lessons... he stays with me, with infinite patience... trying to get me to open my eyes, widen my vision... see the beauty and the masterful brilliance in the world around me... helping me to learn to love, and to be kind, and to come home.  As he does for all of us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews