Friday, October 16, 2020

1 Corinthians 13:9-12 -- On Faith in the Future

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."
1 Corinthians 13:9-12


I like the idea of progression here, comparing growing from a child to an adult to the transition of earthly life to heavenly life... I think it is a good reminder that there are many things that we won't be able to understand completely until we get there, but as with the analogy, there are many things that we can learn and can prepare for, if we stick with the advice of God/our parents.

I think it also reminds us to not invest our whole selves and sense of being into the incomplete present, because even though we can't see clearly now, there is so much more to come.  Faith is important in this, just as it is when we are young, and we have to trust that things get better, and that someday we will be big the way we want to be.  God promises us all that he has, and that there is eternal life and goodness beyond imagining that God is preparing for us.  In the world, we get tastes of it.  We get glimpses of the possibility, but as it says, we are seeing through a glass, darkly, and the real promise of it is beyond our understanding other than just the shadow and the spirit... we know it is there, but we have to trust God about how truly perfect it will be for all of us.

Today, let's open our minds to the truth of the future that God offers us, so that we don't idealize our limited and lesser present.  If we can retain faith and hope in a better and glorious future, then we can work for it, and eventually get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews