Friday, August 11, 2023

Psalms 57:1-2 -- On Being Sheltered by God

"Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.
I will cry unto God most high; unto God that performeth all things for me."
Psalms 57:1-2


I love the idea of sheltering in the shadow of the Lord's wings, which seems to go along with the Lord's analogy of gathering us as a chicken gathers her chicks under her wings, but it also works if we use a different bird analogy here... it is still the idea of being protected and likely fed and cared for by God, as chicks or birds in the nest.

The idea of God performing all things for us seems to have that same idea, and it might be a very useful analogy for life, because that is the kind of faith that we need to have--as though we are totally dependent on God, as we are in a very real sense for everything we have and are. That doesn't mean that we wait around and don't make an effort in our lives though... we still need to learn about the world and, depending on the bird analogy, possibly learn to fly ourselves. God is protecting us as we learn.

Today, let's look to God who does everything to help and protect us while we are learning, and give thanks and praise for his help and protection. Let's also use that protection that God has given us wisely, and learn all we can as we make forays out into the world. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews