Monday, August 14, 2023

1 Nephi 22:15 -- On Preparing for a Better Society

"For behold, saith the prophet, the time cometh speedily that Satan shall have no more power over the hearts of the children of men; for the day soon cometh that all the proud and they who do wickedly shall be as stubble; and the day cometh that they must be burned."
1 Nephi 22:15


I love the idea of Satan having no power. I don't really like that it will be because the wicked will be burned, because I think it is way too easy for any of us to be in that group... hanging on to our testimonies and avoiding evil requires strength and mercy from God and fervent prayer.

I understand why there has to be a division and a judgement, because justice needs to be done as well as mercy, so our probationary period has to end at some point. It feels like both a curse and a blessing I guess... a curse because of the loss of life, but moreso the loss of potential and possibility among those of us who choose not to come unto God. A blessing because Christ died for us to give us additional chances to repent and we all had that extra time to change and to become better selves--and also because we'd never get to the point where Satan had no power if God didn't step in at some point and stop him from destroying the righteous.

It reminds me of third Nephi... we read about the incredible destruction, but then about Christ's visit and the perfect society that grew up after that for a while. When Christ comes again, that kind of society can last, and lead us to the perfect society of heaven, so it never has to end. Today, let's look forward to having a chance to live in that perfect society, and pray with everything that we have that we will learn how to be good enough to others that we can live there peacefully. I think I, for instance, would manage to mess it up even without temptation if I were dropped in there now. I think I need more time, and a lot more practice being a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews