Monday, June 12, 2023

Numbers 22:30-33 -- On Considering the Unknown

"And when the ass saw the angel of the Lord, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam’s anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff.
And the Lord opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?
And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee.
And the ass said unto Balaam, Am not I thine ass, upon which thou hast ridden ever since I was thine unto this day? was I ever wont to do so unto thee? And he said, Nay.
Then the Lord opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.
And the angel of the Lord said unto him, Wherefore hast thou smitten thine ass these three times? behold, I went out to withstand thee, because thy way is perverse before me:
And the ass saw me, and turned from me these three times: unless she had turned from me, surely now also I had slain thee, and saved her alive."
Numbers 22:27-33


I like this story because God opens the mouth of an animal and it gets to talk... even though the conversation doesn't go all that well. :) I think it is a good lesson for us as well. Just like with Elisha and his servant (2 Kings 6:15-17), there are things that we can't hear, that we can't see, and that we can't possibly know... we *never* have all the information. God is the only source that can take all the information into account and help us make the best decisions, because only he can see how everything works together and where it is all going.

We obviously can't ever take everything into account, and we don't need to lose sleep over the things that we just can't know... but what we can do is pray. That is how we can consider the unknown and take it into account in our decision making. If Balaam had all the information, he might have made different decisions, and so in our own lives perhaps we should remember that when things don't go as we expect, that perhaps there is good reason for it, and talk to God about it before we start flipping out and getting frustrated enough to threaten our animals (or anyone else). God knows exactly what is going on, no matter how confused we are, and if we pray and tap into that power, we might not always get that knowledge ourselves, but we will always get the benefit of God's advice through his spirit, and as we learn to listen to that spirit, we will learn to make better and better decisions. Today, let's be humble and wise enough to include God in our decision-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews