Thursday, June 15, 2023

3 Nephi 9:13 -- On Conversion and Healing

"And many great destructions have I caused to come upon this land, and upon this people, because of their wickedness and their abominations.
O all ye that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?"
3 Nephi 9:13


This is after the massive upheavals before Christ appeared to the Nephites... they hear God's voice talking to them and detailing the things that have happened, and then, here, telling them why they were spared and asking them to be converted, and telling them that he wants to heal them.

I think it is a powerful and beautiful moment as God pauses to plead with the people. It reminds me of Matthew 23:37: "how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" ... It seems like the sort of thing that earthy parents want to say to their children who go astray as well. Please... I want to help if you will only allow me to.

I also submit that this destruction and healing is an ongoing process. As we learn in the allegory of the tame and wild olive trees (Jacob 5), the Lord is continually pruning and nourishing, and clearning away the bad "according as the good shall grow" (verse 66).

Since it is an ongoing process, I further submit that God is pleading with us in this way right now. He wants to gather us. He wants to heal us. Today, let's remember that we are spared, and be willing to turn to him, repent, and be converted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews