Saturday, June 3, 2023

Doctrine and Covenants 45:6-10 -- On Listening and Reasoning

"Hearken, O ye people of my church, and ye elders listen together, and hear my voice while it is called today, and harden not your hearts;
For verily I say unto you that I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the light and the life of the world—a light that shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.
I came unto mine own, and mine own received me not; but unto as many as received me gave I power to do many miracles, and to become the sons of God; and even unto them that believed on my name gave I power to obtain eternal life.
And even so I have sent mine everlasting covenant into the world, to be a light to the world, and to be a standard for my people, and for the Gentiles to seek to it, and to be a messenger before my face to prepare the way before me.
Wherefore, come ye unto it, and with him that cometh I will reason as with men in days of old, and I will show unto you my strong reasoning."
Doctrine and Covenants 45:6-10


There is a lot of cool stuff going on in this selection, but I think my favorite part is God telling us that he will reason with us as he did with people in the "days of old" and show us his strong reasoning. I think sometimes we believe that we have to take everything on faith, but that isn't really what God is going for. Faith is ultra important of course, and some things we have to take on faith, but God tells us that by the Holy Ghost that we "may know the truth of all things" (Moroni 10:5), and that he will give us answers in our minds and hearts (D&C 8:2), as well as telling us many times to ask him, and to look unto him "in every thought" (D&C 6:36). Sometimes what we start in faith leads us to knowledge because after we have enough faith to go looking and search it out, we often find the answers we are looking for.

Today, let's remember that God is willing to reason with us; to help us understand his plan and his gospel in a way that we can understand and relate to. Let's listen, and ask, and reason in prayer with our father, and he will teach us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews