Wednesday, July 12, 2017

John 15:9-11 -- On Love, Obedience, and Joy

"As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.
These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."
John 15:9-11


I like the combination here of love and obedience and joy.  I think sometimes we have a gut reaction against people telling us what to do, and so "obedience" is almost like a bad word.  It doesn't seem to equate with love or joy... but here, God is telling us that it does, or at least that, with him, it can.

We're really just toddlers sometimes, aren't we?  We often have massive tantrums when we're told to do crazy things like... wear clothes, or eat food.  God, here, is just telling us that if we listen to him, and do as he asks, that he can help us more... we'll be able to have the spirit with us and feel his love, and we'll also be a lot happier.

Not saying that it isn't hard to overcome ourselves and listen to God, but what he asks makes sense, and will make our lives (and eternities) so much better.  Let's not let the screaming toddler part of our brains steal that from us.  Let's do the things that will bring us joy, and help us abide in his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews