Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Alma 5:27-28 -- On Serious Questions

"Have ye walked, keeping yourselves blameless before God? Could ye say, if ye were called to die at this time, within yourselves, that ye have been sufficiently humble? That your garments have been cleansed and made white through the blood of Christ, who will come to redeem his people from their sins?
Behold, are ye stripped of pride? I say unto you, if ye are not ye are not prepared to meet God. Behold ye must prepare quickly; for the kingdom of heaven is soon at hand, and such an one hath not eternal life."
Alma 5:27-28


These are some pretty serious questions.  The whole chapter, really, asks some great questions that can teach us a lot about ourselves and about God if we take the time to consider them.  I think the "sufficiently humble" might be the scariest one for me here.  Sometimes when I am actively trying to be humble, I let some backhanded indication of irritation through, which does *not* make things better... only worse.  ... I hope that's just me, and the rest of you have it under control, but I fear that my experience is all too common.

The answer here, I think, is that in order to be humble sometimes the best thing to work on is not humility, but love.  If we aren't sincere about caring about others or treating them kindly, then of course we're going to come off badly.  We care more about getting in our little dig or feeling justified rather than truly helping someone or letting things go to clear the air.

It's amazingly sobering to think about being "called to die at this time," isn't it?  And it probably should be.  We waste so much time comparing ourselves to others and trying to be right, or better, or at least not being wrong, that we waste some amazing opportunities to love, and learn, and prepare.  When we are called to die, what will be our regrets, and what will we want just a little bit more time to do?  Definitely not pursue an argument, or prove we're right.  We'll likely want to have a good relationship with God, and with others, and to know that we lived a good life and repented of the things we did wrong so that we can leave the world confident and at peace.

Today, let's get started on that, okay?  Let's ask ourselves the serious questions, and not wait until it is too late to improve the answers.

2 comments:

  1. I like it when yu said yu are "trying tobe humble",but making a mess on it.
    My thoughts are don't,until yu are born again by the spirit;and then everything will be made as yu ask in Faith,provided is a need of yo Salvation.
    Then if I'm called to die today-I Willbe free to hope for a new immortal body life.Umm sounds good does it!.Remember charity my friend.👍👏💟Lolo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in order to get to love you have to be humble first. In the scripture it gives you the definition of love. Without being able to be humble, you do not have the ability to love, because the action of lvee, you have to have the ability to be selfless. Once you reach that point of being selfless, then you have reached the state of being humble, at that time, do you have the ability to love. In my opinion love cannot come before being humbled.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews