Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Psalms 13:1-6 -- On Doubts, Fears, Trust, and Praise

"How long wilt thou forget me, O Lord? for ever? how long wilt thou hide thy face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and hear me, O Lord my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;
Lest mine enemy say, I have prevailed against him; and those that trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation.
I will sing unto the Lord, because he hath dealt bountifully with me."
Psalms 13:1-6


I put in the whole Psalm because I like the way that it moves from questioning to confidence.  I think this is a pattern that we follow over and over in our lives.  Bad things happen, and we start wondering where the Lord went.  Why we are forgotten... which we never are of course, but it is very easy to feel that way.  And we're sad, and we feel like other people are winning, and *we* want to win, and be right, and we want to be noticed and heard.  But, just as the Psalmist remembers, we have trusted in God's mercy and we joy in his salvation.  All of our storms; physical, spiritual, and emotional; can be calmed by Christ's voice saying "Peace, be still" (Mark 4:39).
Today, as we experience the turbulence of everyday life, let's remember that God is deserving of our trust.  Let's let go of our doubts and sorrows and rejoice in God's salvation.  Let's sing unto the Lord literally or figuratively, because he will always deal bountifully with us, blessing us over and above our ability to accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews