Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Psalms 39:4-7 -- On Frailty and Hope

"Lord, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.
Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.
Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.
And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee."
Psalms 39:4-7


I think this is a good reminder.  We're all frail, and even though we don't always like it, it is a good thing to remember.  This life isn't the pinnacle of existence, and heaping up the riches, or the toys, or the conquests is sort of pointless.  All of it is impermanent, and we all are going to get old, and we all have to face death.  But our patience and faith and hope is in God, who will bless us and take us to a place of permanence where there is no more frailty or sickness or death.  Where relationships don't have to end, where our bodies and minds are perfect, and our weaknesses and impediments are washed away.  Today, in this life of temporary, let's remember that we are waiting and working for something much, much better.  Let's put our hope in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews