Saturday, July 25, 2015

Job 10:1 -- On Weariness and Perspective

"My soul is weary of my life; I will leave my complaint upon myself; I will speak in the bitterness of my soul."
Job 10:1


I think we all go through times when we are weary of our lives, don't we?  It's easy to lose perspective and to get overwhelmed.  Easy for obstacles to seem insurmountable, and hard to see the point of any of it at times.  This is Job speaking, weary of his life.  And you know, he had reason.  He had to suffer an awful lot in his life.
I see a couple of lessons here.  First, it's okay to feel overwhelmed sometimes.  Job was tired of trying, even asking why he had been born... and he addressed God about it, and told him how he felt. God didn't strike him down for being upset and overwhelmed.  God loved him, and listened to him. Even in the worst moments, Job didn't abandon his faith.  He knew God was real, and even though he didn't understand why he had to go through all of this, he knew that God was still there to listen, and that he could turn to him even in the bad times.
Second, suffering is always temporary.  Even when our suffering is huge... and Job's was immense... it isn't forever.  God made it up to Job, and Job was able to get through it and find happiness again.  And if he can, we can too.  Not saying it is always easy, and I know it doesn't always seem likely, but if we stick with God like Job did, we'll be able to regain some perspective and some hope.  Things will work out;  Life will get better.
Today, let's turn to God and tell him how we feel, especially if we are weary and ready to give up.  God knows our pain, and he can help us bear it.  And, like Job, let's not lose faith.  With God, we always have something better to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews