Thursday, January 22, 2009

2 Nephi 26:11

"For the Spirit of the Lord will not always strive with man. And when the Spirit ceaseth to strive with man then cometh speedy destruction, and this grieveth my soul."
2 Nephi 26:11

This is a really scary scripture. The verse before it talks about people choosing to yield to the devil, and so the consequences I'm sure make sense... but to think about losing the spirit and never, ever being able to get it back--no wonder "then cometh speedy destruction." I think my whole life would implode if I were left to rely on my own decisions and my own judgement for very long, without any assistance from God. ...I think that God sticks with us sometimes even when we're screwing up, because he's trying to teach us. He knows that we can't be perfect. We're little kids comparatively, and it is understandable. But I think this verse is a little like saying "you know, someday, you're going to have to grow up, and take some responsibility for yourselves and your actions. I can't protect you from those adult consequences forever." ... and perhaps we made some bad choices while with God, and he dealt with it. But that can't last forever. When we're on our own, we can't play with fire anymore without severe consequences. So, today... let's try learning to avoid getting into trouble in the first place. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews