Sunday, October 23, 2005

Alma 9:6


"And they said: Who is God, that sendeth no more authority than one man among this people, to declare unto them the truth of such great and marvelous things?"
Alma 9:6


Scary question… definitely tempting fate.   However, I think that this is a question that we often have, at least in the backs of our minds.  Why does God seem so hidden sometimes?  If he wants us to be good, then why doesn’t he show up more often, or fix problems in the world (or in our lives)?   It’s like Donne’s Holy Sonnet 14: “Batter my heart, three-person’d God” …  Donne wants God to be more aggressive in the relationship.  Instead of persuasion to be good, he wants some force applied, because he feels himself slipping away.   I think I understand that desire at times.  However, the real question here isn’t who is God, but who are we?   God isn’t going to teach us anything by appearing in a bolt of lightning and wiping out our enemies (except maybe that he is powerful… but I think we get that from other sources). :)   He teaches us patience and faith in the only ways those things can be taught… and he ALWAYS steps in when it gets to be too much, although of course, he knows our limits a lot better than we do. :)   Today I’m trying to remember that God knows what he is doing, and his way always turns out better than my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews