Saturday, May 15, 2004

2 Corinthians 12:7-10


"And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
2 Corinthians 12:7-10


Another little reminder for me this morning... God doesn't give me weaknesses because he wants to see me squirm. :)  He gives me weaknesses, because that is how to teach strength.  If we had no weaknesses, we could be lukewarm little worms all our lives, and never learn.   When we face obstacles and challenges, we learn how to function with whatever weaknesses and addictions that we've been given in this life, and we find out what strength means.  Sometimes it seems like too much, and we cry out, as Paul did, and ask for God to please, please take it away: it's too hard... we'll never crawl out from under it.   But no matter how much it feels like that at times, it isn't that way.  God gives us nothing that we can't handle... and he gives us what we have to stretch us, to help us to grow into the people that we can become... so much better than the placid wormlike existences we were hoping for, without weaknesses, without challenge.  So, like Paul... even though infirmities, reproaches, distresses, and all the rest can be remarkably painful... we should glory in them, for that is how God teaches us, and makes us strong enough to become like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews