Saturday, April 13, 2002

Mosiah 2:22

"And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you."
Mosiah 2:22


King Benjamin is so great. :)  in this chapter he explains that we can never really pay God back for what he has done for us.  We could praise him and serve him with everything that we are and it wouldn't match what we have been given.  And, despite that debt, God only requires that we keep his commandments.  Sometimes those seem overwhelming to us, but try to see it from King Benjamin's perspective.  We already have been given an abundance of blessings from God, the gift of life for one... and relationships and love, and the measure of peace that we enjoy... and God asks obedience.  But if we *are* obedient, he blesses us yet more... more than the obedience is worth.  And so, yet again, we owe him everything.  And then, every single one of God's commandments is designed for us, to help us to be happy and to grow into the people that we were meant to be... so when he asks us to do something for him, he is really asking us to do it for ourselves... because he does, truly, love us. :)  I think, really, that this is the key to humility.  Knowing that, of ourselves, we merit nothing... and everything that we enjoy in life is there because God put it there for us.  We need him.  We need his mercy and his love and his patience if we are going to have a chance to become more than we are.  I know that I need him in my life, not just weekly or daily... but hourly.  Minute by minute.  He helps me to remain calm when I am tempted to be angry; he helps me to act even when I am afraid to do so; he helps me to maintain relationships that I would have lost a long time ago if it were up to just me.  Today, let's try to do something for God...  let's be obedient, and work on becoming the best people we can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews