Thursday, July 26, 2001

Doctrine and Covenants 84:85

"Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man."
Doctrine and Covenants 84:85


Do you ever find yourself planning what to say ahead of time?  :)  God says, don't bother. :)  This is really cool, actually... and it has worked for me very often in my life.  I remember when I was on my mission... It seemed as though God was having people ask me questions that *directly* related to the passage of scripture that I had read that morning... and I was just reading the scriptures page by page, not skipping around at all.  We spend a lot of mental energy planning and worrying about what to say or how to act in this or that situation... and if we just soak up the scriptures, and the words of the prophets, then we will have those things automatically brought to our minds when we need them.  God always knows what to say... and we can tap into that. :)  One of the great things about the Holy Ghost is, if we are living worthy to have him around, that he "will bring all things to our remembrance."  ... so, we can soak up knowledge and trust God to help us to access it when we need it. :)  This works well in tests... I have personal knowledge. :)  It also works well when the only thing that you can think of beforehand is something like... "supercalifragilisticexpialadocious."  (yeah, how do you spell that anyway?)  ... I have had that a time or two as well.  No matter how much I read and thought about a lesson, I had no idea what to say or how to lead into a discussion... but I was doing my best, and I had the Spirit... and, trusting that, I went up to the front of the room anyway.  And, *every time* God comes through (as usual).
So, today... let's treasure up the words of life.  Drink in the Spirit... learn everything we can about God... ponder the words of the prophets. :)  And, in the exact hour we need any of that knowledge and strength, it will be there for us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews