Monday, November 14, 2022

Psalms 27:3-6 -- On Sacrifices of Joy

"Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple.
For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his pavilion: in the secret of his tabernacle shall he hide me; he shall set me up upon a rock.
And now shall mine head be lifted up above mine enemies round about me: therefore will I offer in his tabernacle sacrifices of joy; I will sing, yea, I will sing praises unto the Lord."
Psalms 27:3-6


Lots of great symbolism here. I like that we don't need to fear even if armies come against us, because the Lord is on our side, and his temple is a spiritual refuge that we can have confidence in. I especially love the phrase "sacrifices of joy" ... and it makes me ask the question, what do we give to the Lord when we are filled with happiness?

Perhaps gifts of praise and thanks, as with the singing mentioned. Or maybe the sacrifices of joy are the same sacrifices as always... humility, repentance, submission to God's will (broken heart, contrite spirit), but all of the things that we could possibly be sorry for are swallowed up in the joy of Christ. Or even joy *as* a sacrifice, because we have to work to pull ourselves away from the gloom of the world to find and promote the positive.

One interpretation or all of the above, I think that today is a good day to contemplate what sacrifices of joy we can make to the Lord, as we look for the good in the world and work to praise him with the way that we live our lives. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews