Thursday, June 2, 2022

Isaiah 1:25 -- On Refining and Purification

"And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin:"
Isaiah 1:25


I like the imagery here of being refined like ore. The image of the refiner's fire is somewhat scary... I mean, who really wants to be burned? But the imagery isn't a destructive force so much as a purifying force... getting rid of that which is not us, taking away the extraneous and unnecessary and leaving us with something good... and I love that, and want that in my life. Being whole and as Lamoni's father says "having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day" (Alma 22:15)... *that* kind of refining seems so amazing, even though it does still scare me, and I expect that it will sometimes hurt.

Today, let's remember that God is doing all things for us, trying to help us, and make us so much better that we probably can't quite get our heads around it yet... but if we trust him, then let's do as he says, and he will help us all get there. It isn't always going to be fun, as we already know, but God is kind and gentle with us, and helps us small step by small step so that we don't get too overwhelmed. :) Let's do what we can and be willing to take those steps towards being better people and making the world better too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews