Monday, September 4, 2000

James 1:19-21

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls."
James 1:19-21


This is great stuff.  "superfluity of naughtiness" is SO great.  One of my friends reminded me of this scripture yesterday, and so I had to use it. :)  But, serious too.  If we were all swifter to listen than to speak, think what a better world this would be, with all of us really listening to each other. :)  And, if none of us got angry very quickly... wow.  to say nothing of how amazing the world would be if we abandoned our own individual superfluities in the category of naughtiness. :)  I like the last part a lot too... the word that is able to save your souls.  makes me think of "In the beginning was the word" and "by the power of his word" and all the things that invest language with power in the scriptures... and especially "the word was made flesh, and dwelt among us" ... language becoming the reality of Christ.  I know, I am being kind of abstract today, please forgive me... but this stuff is great.  so, today... listen.  let go of all that residual (and superfluous) naughtiness... and let God's word save your souls. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews