Sunday, September 20, 2020

Matthew 26:62-64 -- On Holding Peace

"And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?
But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven."
Matthew 26:62-64


When I "hold my peace" I'm typically remaining silent because I know it is unwise to argue, but it still seems frustrating and I want to say something.  ... I think when it talks about Christ holding his peace here, peace is actually literally involved. :)  He knew what was coming, and he could have stopped it or gotten away, but he was committed to doing his Father's will, and didn't speak out of the injustice of all of it... not because he didn't think he could fight it, but because he was already at peace with allowing it to happen.

I think that's something that it would be worthwhile learning... how to have enough faith in God that when we hold our peace, we are actually AT peace, and okay with what God has in store for us.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't work to correct injustices in our society, of course.  Only that when we know we are doing God's will, I think we can learn to have peace with it, no matter how hard it is.  Today, let's work on holding some peace, letting God calm our hearts and trusting in his will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews