Saturday, October 5, 2019

John 14:2-3 -- On Preparation and Persistence

"In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also."
John 14:2-3


This is Christ speaking to his disciples at the Last Supper.  I like the idea here of Christ preparing a place for us, and then coming back and inviting us home.  It's like a forward scout finding a place of safety for the rest of the group coming later, or a dad moving to a new place ahead of his family so that he can find a place for them to come.  Or, like an elder brother, facing the hard corners of the world ahead of his siblings, so that he can sand them down a little bit before they get there.

I love the idea/symbol of many mansions inside God's house... seems immense, but also welcoming, because we are his family, and even if we have a separate place for our family, that place is within God's house, because we are part of him too, and part of each other.  The overall idea is that there is room for everyone that follows him--no set limits or exclusions.  Anyone who wants to come can come, and he has shown the way.

Today, let's endeavor to follow Christ and reach the place that he has prepared for us.  Let's persist in our efforts and never give up, even if we have wandered off the path.  Let's repent and renew our efforts, and return to him, that where he is, we can be also. :)  There isn't anything better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews