Friday, October 19, 2018

2 Nephi 29:8-9 -- On God's Words and Work

"Wherefore murmur ye, because that ye shall receive more of my word? Know ye not that the testimony of two nations is a witness unto you that I am God, that I remember one nation like unto another? Wherefore, I speak the same words unto one nation like unto another. And when the two nations shall run together the testimony of the two nations shall run together also.
And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever."
2 Nephi 29:8-9


I like this idea that God talks to all of his children and remembers all the nations.  There are only three specific records spoken of later in this chapter, which are the records of the Jews, the records of the Nephites, and the records of the lost tribes of Israel (verses 12-13).  However, in verse 12 it adds that the Lord will speak to all nations and they shall write it, so even though we don't have all of each other's records yet, we know that there is more.

In John 10:16 we learn that Christ had "other sheep" that needed to hear his voice.  We know that at least one of these other groups of sheep were the Nephites.  And then, to the Nephites he said that he had yet other sheep "not of this land, neither of the land of Jerusalem" (3 Nephi 16:1), and that he would go and also show himself to them.  I think it is extraordinarily cool to know that we have at least one other record out there somewhere that details Christ's visit to his people.  The accounts in the New Testament and in 3rd Nephi are already so rich, but it is the kind of amazing coolness that can only be enhanced by being added to. :)

I also love the idea here that God's work is not finished, and that he doesn't change.  He doesn't have to, because his perfect day has already come, and there is no improvement that he could make.  For us, that means solidity, consistency, reliability.  We doubt and fear and waver.  God does not.  His work continues because, though eternal, he never grows old or feeble, and it is a work that he has chosen and that he enjoys.  His work is to help us and his children everywhere to achieve eternal life and salvation, and he can be relied on to always be willing to help us because he loves us, and loves his work of lifting and strengthening us.

Today, let's remember that God doesn't change.  If something is going wrong between us, it means we are changing, not him.  Let's remember God in all that we do, and trust his reliability and love as he reaches out and invites us to come to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews