Friday, February 23, 2018

Jonah 2:5-6 -- On Hope in Unlikely Places

"The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.
I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God."
Jonah 2:5-6


The idea of the waters reaching even into Jonah's soul... wow.  You can tell he was terrified and "the earth with her bars" ... he felt he was in a prison he would never escape from.

Now, I don't think that any of us is really going to go through the same thing that Jonah did (or at least I hope not).  However, I do think that we sometimes have similar feelings.  Things get to us, even to the soul, sometimes.  We are terrified, and we feel trapped in prisons, sometimes of our own making, that we don't think that we will ever escape.

Like Jonah, though, even in the worst of all places, with weeds wrapped around our heads, we can find hope as we cry unto the Lord.  And, like Jonah, God can and will lift us out of corruption and help us escape the awful things that we are frightened of, even if we brought them on ourselves.  What we need to do is call upon God, and be willing to do as he asks.  If we follow his instructions, we can find hope again, no matter where we are trapped, or how hopeless it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews