Thursday, January 4, 2018

Jonah 2:5-6 -- On Life Brought Up from Corruption

"The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head.
I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God."
Jonah 2:5-6


This is part of the story of Jonah and the whale, where Jonah is praying to the Lord during his harrowing experience.  You can kind of feel how bad it was for him through those words "even to the soul."  And knowing that God could save Jonah in his extremity I think offers hope to all of us in our own extremities, because God can also save us, no matter how soul-wrenching our situation.

Today, let's look to God in our extremities and know that he can save us.  Let's pray, and work, and become, making the changes that we need to make to become the people we want to be.  If Jonah didn't have to be stuck where he was, we don't have to be stuck where we are either.  If he didn't have to be hopeless, we don't have to be hopeless either.  God is listening.  Let's reach out to him, and work out our salvation. :)  He can save us from death and from corruption, and he can make us new and clean.  Let's be willing to reach out to him, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews