Thursday, December 15, 2016

2 Nephi 4:18-19 -- On Temptation and Trust

"I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me.
And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted."
2 Nephi 4:18-19


I like the idea that even a prophet worries about temptations and sins all around.  Not because that makes him weak, but because it means that we all have that same ability to overcome the hard things... through God, which is who Nephi has trusted to get him through.  In the next verse he says "My God hath been my support."  That can be true for all of us.

Sometimes we think that God isn't supporting us because our lives are hard, and we're surrounded by things that are dangerous and can hurt us, like temptation and sin.  But those things don't mean that God doesn't love us or isn't willing to help us.  They mean that God is teaching us to be strong, and able to choose the good things, even when there are bad things around us.  It's similar to our human parents.  They know that growing up in this world is going to expose us to things that they might not approve of, but instead of keeping us at home forever, they let us go  to school and out into the world in other ways.  They let us experience some bad things and interact with non-ideal people, and work to teach us how to stay okay anyway.

Now, of course this doesn't mean that we should *ever* go looking for bad things.  That's not what God wants.  If they surround us or happen to us, and we are working to choose good, he will help us and make it possible for us to escape and be okay.  But if we go looking for them, we can get ourselves in over our heads.  Today, let's remember that even the prophets went through trials and temptations, but God supported them, and he can support us too.  Let's trust in him and learn to walk away from sin, and choose God and the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews