Saturday, August 6, 2016

2 Corinthians 11:30 -- On Awesome Infirmities

"If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities."
2 Corinthians 11:30


Paul must be crazy, right?  Why would anyone glory in infirmity... in weaknesses and limitations and inabilities?  Aren't those the things that are the hardest to bear in life?  And yet, in thinking about it, and reading more about what Paul means in the next chapter, specifically verses 7-10, I think I am starting to understand.  Maybe that makes me crazy too. :)

Some things that Paul likes about infirmities are that they help us to be humble, and our weaknesses give us a chance to rely on God's strength.  In my life, I think those things are very true.  I know that I have learned the very most about relying on God at times in my life when I was completely out of my depth and had no idea how to handle things alone.  And although it is sometimes painful and embarrassing, when my weaknesses are clear to others, I learn a lot about love, and mercy, and trust, and unity.

Today, let's take a step back and recognize that God has given us weaknesses and infirmities truly as gifts.  If we were good at everything, we'd likely just all become smug idiots.  But instead, we all need each other.  Not just to make up for other people's mistakes, but to have compassion, to give us another chance, to help us learn about love and trust and service and being truly good.  We are often our best selves when we need to ask for help, and those times help us to learn to have compassion on others when they are in similar situations.  Let's thank God for our infirmities, and that they often bring us to have a better relationship with other people, and especially with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews