Sunday, May 29, 2016

Psalms 57:7 -- On Fixed Hearts

"My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise."
Psalms 57:7


This is a great verse.  I think that the original intention was probably the sense of fixed, meaning immovable... focused on God.  And that is really important.  Putting God first means making sure our hearts aren't tossed around with the wind and waves of emotion.  We need to make a serious commitment and not think about backing out of it anytime things get hard.

As I was reading this today, I also considered another definition of fixed, as in repaired.  And I love that interpretation as well... because God *does* fix our hearts when we reach out to him and ask.  They need some repair sometimes, and we need help with the other kind of fixing too--learning how to have that "mighty change" of heart (Alma 5:12-14) that accompanies spiritual rebirth.

Today, let's look to God and keep our hearts fixed on him.  Let's also look to him for help fixing our hearts when they are broken.  Both kinds of fixing will make us better, and more whole.  I think that is an excellent reason to sing and give praise. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews