Wednesday, August 24, 2005

2 Nephi 7:4


"The Lord God hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season unto thee, O house of Israel. When ye are weary he waketh morning by morning. He waketh mine ear to hear as the learned."
2 Nephi 7:4


I'm not sure that I am interpreting correctly, but when I read the second sentence in this verse about God waking morning by morning, what it makes me think of is a father who is so worried about his little kid that he can't sleep... he keeps waking up, and it is the first thing on his mind, all the time.  It reminds me how much God loves us... how much he wants us to succeed. 
It's easy to slip into guilt-trip mode and think of God as just someone who is waiting for us to screw up... who metes out justice pretty heavy-handedly, and who uses threats to get us to listen.  And I am not denying God's justice... but I think that getting into that guilt-trip mode is just another weird twisting of half-truths, the same way Satan tries to deceive us all the time.  And you know what blows the whole façade apart?  The fact that God loves us.  That changes everything.  It is why he does everything that he does, and why we can still find overwhelming hope, no matter how far into guilt-trip mode we've gone.  Mercy exists as well... and God wants us to succeed.  More than that... he's given us the tools and the opportunities we need to succeed. ... and even if God doesn't wake up in the middle of the night worrying (does he even need to sleep?)... he loves us that much, and more.  A good reminder today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews