Monday, April 14, 2003

John 10:33-34

"The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are Gods?"
John 10:33-34


One of my students last semester, when he found out that I was a Mormon, proceeded to inform me that even though I probably didn't know, because it was a secret thing only known to the higher-ups in the church, that the Mormons believed that they were going to become Gods, and that is why he could never believe that religion.  ... It is interesting to me that that is such a stumbling block for people.  To me, it makes total sense.  We're children of God, destined someday to become like him.  It's cool, it's hopeful... it's perfect.  It makes so many other things fall into place.  Somehow I think that this student associated it with snobbery... like we were going to become Gods and all the other people were just going to be little chess pieces in our great game of manipulation.  Instead, I think of it differently.  We all, members and non-members alike, have the potential to become like God.  Just like we, as small children, have the potential to grow up to become like our Earthly parents.  It takes a lot of work and a lot of study to reach our potential, and the church is part of that... helping us to reach our potential, and helping us to do the work that it takes to give everyone the same opportunities.  Hopefully we get closer to reaching our potential every day... including today.  Let's work on it, shall we? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews