Thursday, January 2, 2003

1 John 4:20-21

"If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also."
1 John 4:20-21


This is interesting.  I've never thought of things just this way, but I suppose that God is hard to love in some ways, merely because we can't see him and know him in a face-to-face physical sense.  So, when we have that advantage with other people, and we still don't like them, then we have some more to learn about love. :)  Of course, God is perfect and that offers some advantages right there... but, sincerely, when I think of the people that I love, it seems that I love the little idiosyncratic things about them.  The way they say something, or the way they avoid something else. :)  It's hard to know those things about God... does he have any idiosyncrasies? :)  I think that it is cool that God commands us to love other people, because I think that in our imperfect states, that is the only way we have to learn to love him.  And, yeah, we aren't very good at it yet.  We still have a long way to go to learn to be open and unselfish and to love the way we should... but we'll get there.  Another good thing to think about at the beginning of the year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews