Tuesday, October 22, 2002

Psalms 40:1-3

"I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my foot upon a rock, and established my goings.
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord."
Psalms 40:1-3


There are many things that I like about this scripture.  One of them is the reference to patience.  Not that I am any good at patience, but I like the mention of it because it reminds me that God isn't some spiritual ATM where we go and punch in the right numbers and the spirit wafts out.  God is real, and we have to have a personal relationship with him, talk to him, work with him... always remembering that he has perfect timing and we do not.    And sometimes that means waiting ... patiently... for the Lord. The other part of this set of verses that I like is the "new song" part.  I like that we learn to appreciate the Lord, and it also reminds me...  one of my friends and I always used to talk about the background music that was playing in our lives... like there was a movie soundtrack going.  And sometimes I think we get stuck with some "highly anxious moment" music going for months on end... or the "imminent danger" music.  We get our stories stuck where the hero is almost dead and sing that to ourselves all day long, and never progress to the point of the surprising rescue and eventual triumph.  So, God comes along and he changes the background music, so we know that this is the part where the surprising rescue comes, and then we can move on to the triumph and the happily ever after part.  And, since we have a new song to sing... it also helps to remind the people around us to transition their stories as well.  None of us, because of God, have to live with the soundtrack of a horror film.  we're free to move on to romantic comedy, or whatever we choose. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews