Thursday, June 14, 2001

Doctrine and Covenants 19:16

"For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent."
Doctrine and Covenants 19:16


Good stuff.  I like the fact that God suffered for us, in our place.  Not that it was a fun thing for him, but I think that it gives us a bond with him that no-one else could share.  He knows exactly what it is to be in our shoes, to suffer the things that we suffer... to live the life that we live.  And he didn't go through all that for some abstract reason that we can't get... he didn't go through that to prove that he is cool (although, of course, he is)... he went through it to save us from ourselves.  To save us from suffering some of the bitter consequences of our own choices... so that, if we can capture the spirit of true repentance, we can overcome our shortcomings and actually reach perfection.  I can't think of anything more amazing that that.  I think that I, at least, take that for granted way way too often.  I owe my life, my soul, my existence... to God.  And the thing is, he hands it back to me freely.  He doesn't want my enforced servitude, my slavery, my face in the dust.  He wants my freely given love and respect.  I think that is the least I can do. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews