Sunday, June 3, 2001

Alma 34:34

"Ye cannot say, when ye are brought to that awful crisis, that I will repent, that I will return to my God.  Nay, ye cannot say this; for that same spirit which doth possess your bodies at the time that ye go out of this life, that same spirit will have power to possess your body in the eternal world."
Alma 34:34


This is kind of scary, but I thought it was interesting.  A paper I wrote in college had to do with near-death experiences, and I remember reading about people's visions of the other side... talking about people who wanted a cigarette REALLY badly, but who couldn't have one, because they didn't have a body.  Things like that.  I wonder sometimes exactly what our addictions do to us... eternally.  When we die, we are going to be the same person... and if we haven't learned to repent here, what makes us think that it is going to be a higher priority then?  Because we'll be scared out of our gourds?  I really don't think that it works that way.  We can't make us for years of living and learning to change in three seconds... especially without a body.  How can we possibly overcome a physical / emotional addiction when you don't have a body?  We can wish and hope that it is gone, but until we are there once again, we can't do anything about it.  Today, let's remember the eternal consequences of the choices that we make now... not that it is very fun to remember things like that, but it is important.  We need to become whole and good and better than we are.  Let's change.  I know that I don't want to go through eternity exactly like I am.  Maybe we can all use a little more polish. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews