Tuesday, March 14, 2000

Mosiah 7:29, 33

"For behold, the Lord hath said: I will not succor my people in the day of their transgression; but I will hedge up their ways that they prosper not; and their doings shall be as a stumbling block before them.
. . .
But if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind, if ye do this, he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver you out of bondage."
Mosiah 7:29, 33


I like this scripture even though it isn't that cheery because it shows the grace and mercy of God... and it also shows us one of the ways that we can tell if our lives are going well.  God tells us that we're going to have a lot of problems trying to succeed when we aren't living the way we should.  It's happened to me... seems like when I am doing good that things go so much more smoothly.  I get a great job, I have great friends, I sail through life.  When I am not doing so good, I might get laid off, be in a car accident... just things that make me think, and that make me realize that I need God.  Not that life goes perfectly even with God... but if he is there to get you through, nothing seems as dramatic or hard to accept.
And it is always good to remember that God isn't going to help us to live the wrong way.  Even though that sometimes seems harsh, what it really says is that he doesn't want to assist us in achieving personal misery.  On the other hand... as quickly as we repent, and show our true commitment to God's truth and his ways... we will be delivered out of the prison of sin, and the misery that we have chosen for ourselves.  He loves us, and will rescue us over and over again... but we have to want to be rescued and taken to safety.  If we only want to feel happy while we are walking around on shards of glass... he isn't going to do that.  He is our Eternal father, and he loves us too much to "bless" us with self-deception.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews