Tuesday, March 21, 2000

1 Nephi 17:13

"And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led."
1 Nephi 17:13


Someone read this in my ward a few weeks ago, and I've been thinking about it.  I guess it was always one of those scriptures that I kind of glossed over, thinking that it was just part of the story, and not directly applicable to me... but, you know... it is.  Just like Nephi would apply all scriptures unto himself and his family, we can do the same with this.  We all go through our personal wildernesses.  In order to get where God wants us to be, sometimes we have to give up our cool homes in Jerusalem, our gold and silver, and our way of life... in order to get to the promised land.  And it isn't a pretty journey.  Sometimes it takes years, and the scenery isn't that great.  Sometimes we have to cross oceans in crowded boats with people that hate us.  Sometimes we run out of food, and we are really hungry, and we wonder why we left Jerusalem at all.  But when the Lord asks us to take our individual journeys out of Jerusalem, he always promises that we are going someplace better.  Someplace where people won't try to kill us... :)  and much more than that.  Someday the journey is complete and we wonder... why isn't there a nice bed with soft pillows waiting for me?  I made the journey.... isn't that enough?  But we have to build a life in the promised land, and make it our own.  None of it is easy... but it is better than being slaughtered in Jerusalem... or forsaking all and recanting to the people who are threatening to kill us there.
And seriously.... (I say that, but I was deadly serious the whole time)... God is our light in the wilderness, and he prepares the way before us, telling us where to camp, and where to find food... and sustaining us from day to day on our path.  he says that we will be led... but not only that... and that is a great thing... but even better... we will KNOW that it is God that is leading us.  That is an indescribable confidence.  To know that God is leading, that he loves you... to know that you are on the right path, even if it is difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews