Thursday, December 1, 2022

Matthew 26:20-22 -- On Hard Questions

"Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.
And as they did eat, he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began every one of them to say unto him, Lord, is it I?"
Matthew 26:20-22


I like this I think because it shows the humility of his team... his disciples. I think many of us, if faced with a prediction like that might think... yeah, no way is that me, I would never do that. But they were humble, they believed him without question, and their biggest worry was whether they were going to be the one that betrayed him. They clearly believed him and valued him more than they trusted and believed in themselves. ... And while that might be a bad recipe in some human relationships, our relationship with God, who we know is infallible and who would never take advantage of his power over us, it was perfect. (And they also really grew into confident, powerful people later, once Christ had died and they stepped up and became the leaders of the church, but still, they relied on his perfection and power even then.)

Today, let's consider this scene from Christ's life, and really ask ourselves the same question... are we betraying Christ with some of our choices... and if so, can we learn from him how to do better?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews