Monday, December 19, 2022

John 12:24-27 -- On Purpose

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.
He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.
If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.
Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour."
John 12:24-27


This is both sad and good in different ways, because Christ didn't want to have to suffer and die, but he recognized that is where he was meant to be, and followed through with God's will. And the idea that in dying he gave life to all of us, in the image of the wheat, is cool. We live because he died for us.

I think there are things somewhat similar in our lives... times that we have to face and overcome even though we don't particularly want to, but we know that it is God's will, and something that we need to learn. God wants us to be happy in this life, certainly, but I don't think that every part of our lives is meant to be perfect and fun. Rather, in the midst of and partially because of the challenges, God is able to teach us patience and love and self-regulation, and help us to move towards happy endings and eternal joy.

Today, let's follow Christ's example to the extent that we are able to, and use our lives to fulfill God's purposes... to make the world better and help people in any way we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews