Monday, September 27, 2021

Isaiah 43:18-20 -- On New Miracles

"Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.
Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.
The beast of the field shall honour me, the dragons and the owls: because I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen."
Isaiah 43:18-20


Out of context the first verse in this selection seems strange, because God tells us so often in the scriptures to remember. However, in this case it seems like he is just telling us that something new is going to happen. Not the same old ho-hum miracles as in the past (just joking here; miracles are never boring), but something different... in this case, a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.

Some other verses that talk about the Lord doing something new are in Jeremiah:

"Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that it shall no more be said, The Lord liveth, that brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt;
But, The Lord liveth, that brought up the children of Israel from the land of the north, and from all the lands whither he had driven them: and I will bring them again into their land that I gave unto their fathers."
(Jeremiah 16:14=15, also Jeremiah 23:7-8 with slightly different wording).

The Doctrine and Covenants adds this:

"And they who are in the north countries shall come in remembrance before the Lord; and their prophets shall hear his voice, and shall no longer stay themselves; and they shall smite the rocks, and the ice shall flow down at their presence.
And an highway shall be cast up in the midst of the great deep.
Their enemies shall become a prey unto them,
And in the barren deserts there shall come forth pools of living water; and the parched ground shall no longer be a thirsty land."
(D&C 133:26-29)

These all seem related to me, but obviously I don't know what God has in store, so don't quote me. Suffice it to say though that we have some new very obvious and apparent "new" miracles to look forward to. :) Are they still new if they were predicted so far ahead of time? Yes, I think. I mean, that's what prophecy is, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews