Monday, June 21, 2021

2 Nephi 4:35 -- On Asking Not Amiss

"Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen."
2 Nephi 4:35


I think that it is interesting that the limitation here on gifts from God is focused on not asking for the wrong things. I think that is actually a huge hint to us, perhaps helping us to realize that we need to learn more about God and the world and to know how to ask, and what things to ask for. So many positive things could be good things to ask for, but unfortunately far too often we ask for things that aren't good for us, or that could harm other people. Sometimes we ask for what could be good things, but we ask for the wrong reasons, and we have to purify those intentions so that we understand what God's gift is about.

Today, let's be willing to talk to God and ask for what we need, but also to examine ourselves and understand why we ask what we ask, and work on purifying those intentions. We're not always going to get it right, but we can talk to God about all of it, and he can help us learn better how to ask, and what to ask for as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews