Saturday, May 29, 2021

Psalms 139:1-3 -- On Knowledge, Love, and Friendship

"O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.
Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways."
Psalms 139:1-3


I find it comforting on a deep level that God knows us completely, and still loves us. I think that is something that we want from regular people, but rarely get (or give), but in our relationships with God, it is a given. He doesn't hate us for our mistakes, but rather loves us and asks us to let him help us to make things right.

Significantly, he doesn't justify or condone our sins, dragging things on or making them worse. He isn't the type of friend that will help us "bury the body" because that kind of friend doesn't love us at all--they have no investment in helping us to be the best people we can be, but rather in helping us destroy our lives. God is the best kind of friend, who doesn't condemn us, but instead loves us enough to not only ask us to make better choices, but to help us do it, and to be there during the recovery process.

Today, let's work on feeling "encircled about eternally in the arms of his love" (2 Nephi 1:15), and remember that we can talk to God about anything at all, and he will be there to help us. We can trust him to give us good advice and to stand by us and support us as we strive to improve. God is the best friend that we could ever have. Let's treat him that way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews