Thursday, August 8, 2013

Alma 18:20-21

"And the king said: How knowest thou the thoughts of my heart? Thou mayest speak boldly, and tell me concerning these things; and also tell me by what power ye slew and smote off the arms of my brethren that scattered my flocks—
And now, if thou wilt tell me concerning these things, whatsoever thou desirest I will give unto thee; and if it were needed, I would guard thee with my armies; but I know that thou art more powerful than all they; nevertheless, whatsoever thou desirest of me I will grant it unto thee."
Alma 18:20-21


This is a great story.  In these verses Lamoni has realized how powerful Ammon is, and right before this he first asks Ammon if he is the great spirit, and Ammon says no.  Then here he asks him to tell him how he does what he does.  What I like about this is his deep desire to know about God.  He doesn't even know who God is yet, but he knows something else is there that he can't explain, and wants to know about it so much that he promises Ammon whatever he desires.  I think that is the moment when we are ready to learn... when we have a question that we care about that much, or when we experience something we can't explain or fit into our worldview.  And luckily, Ammon knew what Lamoni wanted to know, and didn't desire to cheat him or take his kingdom.  He only wanted to teach him what he was asking.  Today, let's examine our lives and look for those questions within ourselves.  What do we want to know more than anything?  And when we find out, let's ask God.  He knows the answers.  He might not send someone as powerful as Ammon along, but if we ask, he will help us to learn the answers we seek.  There are powerful questions inside of us, waiting to be asked... and the answers can change us as dramatically as they changed Lamoni at the end of this story.  Let's ask them.  Let's find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews