Saturday, May 6, 2017

D&C 29:1-3 -- On the Arm of Mercy

"Listen to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, the Great I Am, whose arm of mercy hath atoned for your sins;
Who will gather his people even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, even as many as will hearken to my voice and humble themselves before me, and call upon me in mighty prayer.
Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, that at this time your sins are forgiven you, therefore ye receive these things; but remember to sin no more, lest perils shall come upon you."
Doctrine and Covenants 29:1-3


I like the arm of mercy idea here.  First God asks us to listen to him, and he gives us a good reason why... he atoned for our sins.  He mentions how he wants to gather and protect us, if we will just listen, be humble, and pray.  (I think prayer and humility go together in some measure, since on some level we have to admit that we need God in order to pray to him.)

I really love the part where he forgives sins... and I think, just like we can liken other scriptures to us, we can liken this one, because God is always willing to forgive us, if we are willing to repent and change.

God reminds us also to remember to sin no more.  An important reminder, since it is so easy for us to fall into that trap again and again.

Today, let's remember that choosing God is a choice that changes us.  Let's embrace that change and repent, and be willing to rely on the arm of mercy and be gathered to God.  As we are forgiven, let's remember what the Lord has done for us, and be willing to give up sin to know and grow closer to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews