Saturday, February 25, 2017

Alma 22:15-16 -- What Shall We Do?

"And it came to pass that after Aaron had expounded these things unto him, the king said: What shall I do that I may have this eternal life of which thou hast spoken? Yea, what shall I do that I may be born of God, having this wicked spirit rooted out of my breast, and receive his Spirit, that I may be filled with joy, that I may not be cast off at the last day? Behold, said he, I will give up all that I possess, yea, I will forsake my kingdom, that I may receive this great joy.
But Aaron said unto him: If thou desirest this thing, if thou wilt bow down before God, yea, if thou wilt repent of all thy sins, and will bow down before God, and call on his name in faith, believing that ye shall receive, then shalt thou receive the hope which thou desirest."
Alma 22:15-16


I really love the question here "What shall I do?"  The king of the Lamanites (Lamoni's father) believes what Aaron is teaching him about the gospel, and he feels the need to do something about it.  I love that he offers to forsake his kingdom... the most important thing that he could think of.

Aaron, of course, tells him that he needs to repent.  Sometimes that's probably as hard as giving up a kingdom, but the king accepted the price and went to God in prayer, and changed his life from that moment, and he and his people were serious about repentance and became a remarkably righteous people after this.

We might not be able to capture the exact excitement and joy that the king felt here as he was introduced to the gospel, but I think we can use this reminder to reawaken our own memories of learning of and converting to the gospel, and remember how cool the promises of God are.  Isn't the joy that God promises worth whatever we can do to get there?  Today, let's ask the same question that the king asked: What shall we do?  And then let's get started on whatever answer God gives us.  Let's work on rooting that wickedness out of ourselves and changing our lives in order to accept the joy that God offers us, and to be prepared for eternal life with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews