Saturday, January 30, 2016

Isaiah 12:1-3 -- On Happily Ever After

"And in that day thou shalt say, O Lord, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me.
Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.
Therefore with joy shall ye draw water out of the wells of salvation."
Isaiah 12:1-3


These verses are talking about the Millennium, and there is some great symbolism here.  Can you imagine drinking the water of salvation?  And the idea of God being our song makes me think of us just walking down the street and spontaneously bursting into song because we are *so* incredibly happy.  I think the Millennium can be like that... that it *will* be like that, all the time.
We've read before on this blog about scary scriptures of destruction... and that's what I think of when I read the first part.  I think about 3rd Nephi and all the cities being burned, or sinking into the sea, or sunk by earthquakes... all that going on, and then in the end, the people that were spared hearing the voice of God.
We all know that bad things happen in this life sometimes... even when we're being good people, and pretty often when we're not. :)  And I think that the Lord does get disappointed and angry with us sometimes.  Not in a zap-you're-dead way (hopefully we aren't usually quite *that* bad), but in more of a parental I-still-love-you-but-I'm-upset-that-you-did-that sort of a way.  No good parent is going to be happy that we shoplifted, or lied, or about however we're choosing to screw up our lives currently.  But, like the destruction, here in these verses that is all in the past.  He used to be angry with us, but we changed and grew, and the destruction and disappointment and all of those other bad things... they are past, and we're ready to move on.
I don't really know all the details of what the Millennium will be like, but I do know that it is the very end of the book.  The place where we get the happy ending... the one that says "and they lived happily ever after," because we really literally will.  Today, let's try to see past the hard things and the confusing things.  Let's let go of all of that hurt from chapter two, and the scary stuff from chapter 5.  Let's make this chapter better than any of the ones before, and let's be ready for that triumphant finish, and that awesome-tasting water of salvation. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews