Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Doctrine and Covenants 101:46-47

"Now, the servants of the nobleman went and did as their lord commanded them, and planted the olive trees, and built a hedge round about, and set watchmen, and began to build a tower.
And while they were yet laying the foundation thereof, they began to say among themselves: And what need hath my lord of this tower?"
Doctrine and Covenants 101:46-47


This is part of a parable that the Lord told to Joseph Smith, concerning the redemption of Zion (comprising verses 44-62).  This part in particular was interesting to me today because I think that this is where we often falter.  We listen to God, we see his plan, and we begin.  We jump into doing it and feel good about it, but then we start second guessing.  Sometimes it is, as above, that we just don't understand the point of part of it.  Sometimes it is other people laughing at us, like the great and spacious building in Lehi's dream.  Sometimes it is running into something that we want, a lot, even though God says it is a bad idea.  Sometimes it is just sort of slowing down and stopping because we hit a rough patch and we didn't want it to be so hard.  Lots of things.
I think at least part of the point of the parable is that God knows more and can see a lot further than we can.  And sometimes that means we have to take it on faith that it is worth building the tower... or going to church, or paying tithing, or living the law of chastity, or whatever it is.  We can't see the point because we don't have his perspective, but he can see what is coming, and he knows how to handle it. 
It comes down to trust.  And if a stranger told me randomly to build a tower... yeah, I might not do it.  I can see that.  However, if my dad told me that the bridge was out and to take the long way around instead of driving across it, I would believe him.  I wouldn't have to drive over there to check, or find out whether they are reporting it on television, or confirm it with a bunch of other people.  He's my dad.  He loves me.  He doesn't want me to die.  And the same goes for my mom or my siblings... or my friends.  Same goes if the message wasn't about the possibility of death, but just about an icy road or that it was raining, or that we were out of milk.  I would trust them because they've been out there in the weather, or are there looking in the refrigerator.  They can see things that I can't.  And the same goes with God.  If he tells us to build a tower... a tower is needed.  We aren't sure why, but he can see how it will be needed in the future.  And if he asks us to come to church, or live the law of chastity, or pay tithing, sure it seems a little more invasive than building a tower perhaps, but it isn't really different.  It's still our heavenly parent, who loves us, who knows us better than we know ourselves, and who can see better than we can.  My mom asked me to learn my multiplication tables when I was in third grade, and I didn't know why I had to and I really didn't want to at all, and I thought it was stupid. But I did it anyway, because I trusted her that I would need it as an adult.  Turns out, she was right. :)  And so is God, about the tower and about all the rest.
Today, let's trust God.  And if we can't immediately, let's get him out of stranger mode by getting to know him better.  Then we can be better friends, and work on that trust issue. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews