Friday, March 15, 2013

Luke 24:36-39

"And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."
Luke 24:36-39


What an emotional day for the apostles, really... they were devastated at first, and then they heard from different sources that there was no body in the tomb, that Christ has appeared to Simon, and then he appears to others on the road to Emmaus.  And then they got together and were talking about it, and this happens. :)  What I like about this appearance is that they get to touch him... they are so happy they are having a hard time believing all of it, and so he shows them his hands and feet and tells them to see for themselves... some of that tactile evidence that we so desperately want sometimes.  He's basically saying "look, I'm not a ghost.  I'm really here, with you."  And I imagine that someday when we are all reunited with our loved ones who have died, and also with Christ, it will be such an amazingly joyful day as well. :)  It is hard for us to see that far sometimes... to see past death or even to plan for next week rather than RIGHT NOW. :)  But, as we listen to God, we see things more and more from his perspective, and are able to see the life past the death.  To see the joy past the sorrow, and to endure any temporary setbacks because we can see the hope beyond.  Today, let's remember that Christ wasn't limited by temporal things, and that there is so much more beyond whatever obstacles we face today.  We can overcome anything with God, just as Christ overcame death itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews