Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Doctrine and Covenants 88:118 -- On Study and Faith

"And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith."
Doctrine and Covenants 88:118


I've read this scripture many, many times, and there is some great stuff here. God wants us to learn, and to teach each other. Books are good... or at least the best ones are. :) And we should seek learning. All great stuff. Today though, I was thinking about something that I hadn't really examined before in this verse. It starts out with "And as all have not faith" and then ends with "... and also by faith." So, a couple of thoughts here. 

First of all, we can learn by study, which I think we are familiar with, but we can also learn by faith. Which seems cool. Thinking back in my life, I think perhaps I have learned some things this way... important, life-changing things like ... God is there, he loves me, and he consistently answers prayers, for instance. :) 

And then also, the first part "as all have not faith" seems to imply that we study because we don't have faith... or enough faith... to learn another way, which is interesting. I wonder how much more we could learn with a little extra faith. Today, let's exercise our faith and ask God to teach us something that we need to learn. And let's also study and learn, and teach other people all that we can as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews